30 good practices in the restaurant work space
Un restaurant It is an important exponent of the way of life of the inhabitants of a destination tourist and as such, an additional attraction for anyone outside the place and interested in learning more about the culture of the place.
Going to a restaurant lunch or dinner is a practice that is increasingly carried out by the customers of the destination and also by the inhabitants of the place who, deepening their interest to know, in the case of the former, and to recover and preserve, in the case of the latter, the customs of the destination, find in the restaurants the ideal space where culture and recreation can be combined.
International shipments may take up to restaurants They can be considered leisure alternatives and ways to spend free time in a place from an informal and daily perspective.
Within this context, the person providing the the service, becomes a representative of the destination, who welcomes the client and offers him the best of his establishment and trade, thus contributing to making his stay at the destination more pleasant.
- Un restaurant It has traditionally been a place of recreation, where to socialize, speak, relax, delight, and disconnect from the daily routine.
- A way to delve into the culture of the area through its gastronomy and indigenous products.
- A meeting place, meeting and celebration of marked events with friends, colleagues and family. But it is also often a peculiar office or meeting room where important business.
- It is an essential for those who do not know how to cook or for those others whose professional commitments deprive them of the time to do so.
- It is a sanctuary for the senses where the careful provision of the service, the pampered decoration of the establishment, the impeccable cleanliness of the space, the cozy atmosphere, together with the excellent quality of the product, turn a lunch or dinner into a unique moment, and in which the relationship of friendship and complicity that can be created between the waiter and the customer takes on special significance.
Good Practice Recommendations
1.“To be a pleasant and attractive space for the client”
The room is clean, tidy, in good condition, lacks odors and, optionally, has a pleasant musical background. The stay is cozy, warm and has a pleasant atmosphere. The public service space and the areas intended for the provision of the restaurant, are well differentiated.
2.“Having an adequate lighting"
Natural light is used and preferably with views towards landscaped areas or open landscapes. When artificial light is used, it allows a clear view of the dishes and food on the tables. Artificial lighting can be reinforced by means of pedestal tables located on the tables themselves, provided they are large enough for it. It is allowed to count on the windows with curtains and / or curtains or other forms of filtering of the solar light (blinds, blinds, venetian blinds, etc.), adapted to the whole of the decoration of the premises and the architectural environment.
3."Keep a unique decorative style ”
The furniture is arranged harmoniously, keeping a unity of ensemble and decorative style that is in accordance with the architectural characteristics of the building and the physical space of the room. On the walls you can place pictures, photographs or other ornamental elements appropriate to the decorative characteristics of the set.
4.“Have adequate access to the establishment”
Access to the establishment is in good condition both inside and outside. The accesses comply with current regulations on accessibility by people suffering from some type of physical disability.
5.“Having the presence of a bar and a reception and reservation space”
There is a small bar inside or in the vicinity of the dining room for coffee and liquor service, where, in addition, the customer can have a drink while waiting to be accommodated in the restaurant, in case of waiting. It is also recommended to have a small administrative area for the reception of clients and table reservation.
6.“Have air conditioning for heating and cooling the establishment”
Heating and cooling is carried out by means of an air conditioning installation, which will ensure that it is silent (less than 25 DB) and is duly regulated to maintain a pleasant temperature in shirt sleeves (between 18 and 22º C).
7."Ensure the absence of elements that may distort the environment of the establishment"
There are no freezers, ice cream tanks, bottle racks, and other service elements in the room that break the atmosphere created in the establishment and that could hinder the work of the staff. These elements must be located in the “office” or in storage areas of the kitchen.
8."Guarantee the adequate soundproofing of the space"
The walls and ceiling are covered with paint or sound absorbing materials, allowing in any case the conversation without interference from each of the tables.
9."Have a correct directional signage and security elements of the establishment"
The internal signage is adequate, visible and clear; Fire extinguishers and hoses are located for those places where there are emergency exits, as well as for other areas of interest such as showrooms, elevators, stairs, services, cafeteria, etc.
10. "Having the right characteristics"
It is recommended that the tables have measurements from 75 to 77 cm. high, each square having at least 80 cm. linear space, without leg interference or other obstacles. The capacity of the round and square tables will be at least for two, four, six and eight diners, in proportion to the number of seats in the room. In any case, diners will have at least 1.50 m2 per space.
It will be tried that the chairs have an adequate height so that the knees of a person of 1,80 m in height are at least 10 cm. of the table top or its decorative moldings (about 43 cm high).
In addition, these chairs must be comfortable, robust, and will be in a perfect state of lacquering or conservation, with no joint or backrest movements. If upholstered, the fabrics will be perfectly clean, without stains, wear or tear.
11. “Having a suitable location and distribution”
It is arranged in a way that allows the circulation and provision of the service without interference between the tables and the use of service cars or guerrillas, comfortably and avoiding any inconvenience to the client.
12. "Have certain auxiliary elements"
It is suggested to have at least one child seat (high chair type or attachable to the edge of the table) for each dining space. These chairs must be duly approved.
13. “Ensure that the location of the service furniture does not hinder the work of the staff "
The service furniture is distributed throughout the room, taking into account the ease and speed of the service and in tune with the overall decoration of the premises. In addition, it would be appropriate to keep it in perfect condition, lacquered and clean. On your work surface you can place the elements that are being used in the table service, avoiding serving as a continuous store of crockery, cutlery or lingerie. It is not convenient to use this furniture to deposit already used services that will be removed directly to the dirty area of "office" or kitchen.
14. "Have a main piece of furniture"
The furniture for the reservation service may be located in the reception and / or waiting area. It is recommended that its surface is always clear and orderly, containing only the reservation books, and where appropriate, the computer box or terminal if the service is computerized. In this piece of furniture you can locate the service cards and the connection terminals for credit cards.
15. "Guarantee that the dishes for the service are always in optimal conditions"
It is recommended that it is always clean and dry, without detergent or lime stains or chafing from the dishwasher. It is tried that it does not present dents, slops or chipping and that it is harmonious as a whole, although different elements can be mixed to achieve decorative effects. Surfaces are recommended to remain glossy, with no trace of grease.
16. "Ensure that the tableware for the service meets certain minimums in terms of elements and quality"
It is recommended that it be made of porcelain and, as far as possible, be personalized either with decorative elements or with the anagram of the establishment. It is recommended that the tableware be made up of, at least, the following pieces: side dishes, soup dishes, dessert plates, butter dishes, radishes, bread dishes, being recommended metal or ceramic handicraft plates, bread dishes and butter dishes in silver metal. The elements of the service tableware will try to match the set: dishes, tureens, flannels, etc.
17. "Allow the tableware for the service to be typical for certain dishes"
In those dishes that require it, it is recommended to use rustic or traditional containers. On the contrary, it is not recommended to use earthenware containers with lead enamel, nor those that, due to their prolonged use, have blackened or leaking.
18. "Guarantee that the glassware is always clean and in good condition"
The pieces of the glassware are always clean and shiny and are free from any damage caused by use and the passage of time.
19. "Ensure that glassware has components for any type of drink"
It is made of fine glass or tempered glass and as far as possible, its design is personalized. It is ensured that the pieces that make up the dishes are, at least: glasses of water, glasses of wine, glasses of burgundy (for reservations and large reserves), glasses of champagne, glasses of liquor and fortified wine, catavinos, ball glasses (for liqueurs over 22ºC), aperitif glasses and long glasses. The glassware is completed with convoys, ashtrays, butter tables, napkin rings, sinks, etc., which will try to maintain a unity of style.
20. "Ensuring that table linen presents the best conditions"
It is in a perfect state of cleaning and revision, without rips, tears or lumps and that it has the appropriate size for the tables, the tablecloths must exceed at least 15 cm. the edges of it. The change of tablecloths is sought in each dining room service.
21. "Check that the table linen must be made meeting certain requirements"
It is preferably made of fabric with the characteristics corresponding to each use. The napkins are lightly starched and have a size of at least 40 X 40 cm. It is recommended not to fold the napkins.
22. "It is guaranteed that the cutlery and the auxiliary elements have a good state of conservation and cleanliness ”
Preferably it is always perfectly clean and shiny, without residues, streaks or lime stains. Efforts will be made to be homogeneous in its design and law and no bent or indented pieces will be used.
23. "Ensure that cutlery and auxiliary elements use the materials appropriate to their function"
TAll its parts are, at a minimum, stainless steel with sufficient weight and rigidity for use. It is not advisable to admit cutlery with wooden handles, being preferable, if required, special edge knives, the use of metal or plastic paste handles, with adequate characteristics and design and resistant to the dishwasher. Auxiliary elements such as ladles, tongs, serving shovels, etc., are suggested to have similar characteristics to the rest of the table cutlery.
24. “Guarantee that the dining room space is in a permanent state of cleanliness”
The rooms and dining rooms are cleaned as many times as the main services offered in these facilities, including those others that generate intense use of them.
25. “Ensure that everything is perfectly clean and tidy upon arrival of the client (mise en place)”
Indoor common areas, such as hallways, hallways, waiting areas, etc., are cleaned and tidy at least twice a day. Cleaning is preferably done before service, so that these spaces are not occupied by customers. It is advisable that the toilets located in the common areas are thoroughly cleaned and ordered at least twice a day, and it is proposed that these moments be before each main service (lunch and dinner).
26. "Carry out a complete cleaning periodically"
Regularly, and at least once a month, the pictures and decorative elements are removed to clean the back area, the closed light spots are emptied and cleaned; lamps and sconces are reviewed; curtains and net curtains are removed for cleaning and upholstery and radiators are thoroughly reviewed; the tiles are scrubbed, the joints are painted, the failing of cups, sinks and urinals is assured, and the covers and seats are renewed; the rubber seals of the tank unloaders are changed and the siphons are completely emptied; the aeration grids of the “shunts” are cleaned and the auxiliary elements are removed to clean the space after them.
27. "Consider that cleaning is adequate, only when certain requirements are met"
The restaurant room and common areas are considered clean and tidy when:
- -They have been adequately ventilated and a pleasant smell is perceived
- -The bins and ashtrays are empty and clean
- -There are no traces of dust or dirt on floors, walls, paintings, furniture and glass
- -All the elements such as lights, television, heating etc., work correctly
- -The arrangement of furniture elements and accessories responds to its functionality
- -Litter bins and toilet bags are empty and clean
- -There are no traces of dirt or moisture on floors, walls and toilets
- -The toilets are suitably disinfected. Consumable hygiene items (soap, toilet paper, ...) are complete and in sufficient quantity to ensure normal use of the toilet until the next cleaning service.
- -Items such as lights, faucets, hand dryers, etc. work properly and offer a shiny look
- -The services have a pleasant smell
28. "Apply current law"
All the facilities and service circuits of the restaurants They comply with the current regulations on safety and the technical specifications reflected in the Spanish Technical Standards (NTE).
29. “Have a person in charge of maintenance of the establishment ”
All restaurants they have a person responsible for the operation of all the preventive maintenance services and those arranged with supplier companies as well as those derived from guarantees.
30. “Create your own record of the reviews and inspections carried out”
Regardless of the books of visits or inspection required by the Regulations and Orders applicable to the different systems, the establishment has a "book of facilities" in which maintenance routines, reviews of basic facilities, results are recorded. of official inspections and their dates, the repairs that have been carried out, and the person or company responsible and the expected cycles of obsolescence.
Once each and every one of the points that refer to the sections of this document have been exposed, the following conclusions are drawn.
The framework in which the benefit of the service and all the elements that participate in it, constitute an additional factor in customer satisfaction and loyalty during the time spent in the restaurant.
The level of comfort and cleanliness, as well as the atmosphere in the restaurant, will act as determining factors for customer satisfaction and final opinion of the restaurant on the establishment.
The constant improvement in everything that affects the service of the restaurant must be a permanent maxim in its improvement strategy, and a differentiating element in the face of the increasing competitiveness in the sector.