There is a tendency to consider that the problems of lack of time are foreign to us; sometimes internal factors such as ineffectiveness may be influencing work, indecision or tension. Other times it can be improved with a little organization.
There are external factors that act to the detriment of our time, but they can be minimal if properly managed: unexpected or uselessly long phone calls, colleagues or collaborators who come to tell about their problems or to talk, visits, clients and Suppliers that appear for the moment, too frequent, long and poorly prepared meetings, maintenance and repair of broken equipment, among others.
- When you need to be in constant contact with your secretary or assistant, your desk It should not be far from yours.
- Neither the files away from the people who use it.
- Nor the instruments you use frequently away from your desk.
Other aspects that must be observed for the good use of time are:
- The writing of Reports excessively long.
- Correspondence received is recommended to be separated by the secretary or assistant in urgent, regular and third class and then refer to assistants the issues that may be resolved by them.
- The phone.
- Unexpected visits.
- Very long and excessive meetings and conferences.
Five ways to feel better at the end of each workday
- When it's late, don't add anything else to the to-do list today.
- Address the issues you are facing in descending order of importance.
- Work with only one thing at a time.
- During the day, take short breaks periodically.
- Give yourself recognition for what I do do.
Finally, we want to point out that meetings consume a large part of the manager's time, but not all meetings are unnecessary. Professor Orlando Carnota, professor at the University of Havana states: "Meetings are a legitimate activity that is irreplaceable for achieving objectives where collective intelligence, the need for cooperation, commitment to execution, the emergence of ideas or the exchange of knowledge are fundamental factors ”.
Ten reasons not to hold a meeting
- If you are biased in favor of a solution.
- If it can be done better individually.
- If it can be solved the same with a memo, the phone or the mural.
- If the matter is not within the competence of the group.
- If you are not interested in group criteria.
- If the solution that can be reached is unique.
- If the matter does not interest the participants.
- If your technical capacity in this matter is far above that of the rest.
- If the basic information to work is not available.
- If it is not important to get the acceptance of the group.