Below is a futuristic report whose conclusions we share, has been prepared by the Association of American Restaurants (NRA), an entity that groups close to 500.000 restaurants U.S..
This is a survey of the main leaders and experts of the American industry of restaurants with the aim of preparing a study that predicts the challenges, opportunities and future trends that the sector will face in 2020 and thereby help plan future strategies for restaurants.
The report was developed under the Delphi Method, where the different predictions made by experts in various areas are analyzed to extract the 25 events that are most likely to happen. It is a proven way of anticipating the future, but the process also has a high subjective component by its very nature.
The 25 most likely predictions for 2020 are:
- The industry of restaurants You will continue to face continuous and intense competition.
- The restaurants will have to offer the highest level of service and quality in food to maintain success.
- Customers will continue to order traditional menus or dishes, regardless of their nutritional content.
- Although new technologies will offer great benefits, successful restaurants will maintain personal contact with their customers.
- Restaurants will have to update all their basics continuously if they want to survive.
- Healthy eating will continue to grow. The study predicts that the freshest food will be the order of the day, and that in consumers' minds, there is not much difference between fresh food and local sourcing.
- Restaurants will make better use of mobile technology.
- Technology for energy efficiency will be more present in restaurants.
- The restaurant industry will be more regulated than it is today.
- The data obtained from the point of sale (POS) systems will offer more intelligence and less data, will facilitate knowledge and actions in restaurants.
- Convenience stores and supermarkets will continue to expand their food offering.
- The restaurant industry workforce will be characterized by higher levels of diversity than today.
- Recruitment of employees in the restaurant industry is going to be higher part-time than full-time.
- Online training programs will replace training manuals.
- The traceability of the products will improve, allowing the industry to give a faster response.
- The restaurant industry will continue to be a good sector for entrepreneurship.
- Interest and importance in children's nutrition will intensify, restaurants will be more creative in putting healthy foods on the menu. Chefs and culinary providers will collaborate with schools to increase the availability and accessibility of these types of dishes.
- Governments may require food safety training from all employees of the restaurant.
- Take-out packaging will be more sophisticated.
- Electronic payment systems, both on tablets and mobiles, will be common.
- Food chain safety will receive increased attention and will become a hallmark in restaurants.
- The training will be delivered online and through smartphones.
- The international expansion of the American restaurant industry will continue to be the engine of growth for the sector, mainly in Asia, South America, Europe and Africa.
- More women and different ethnicities will continue to rise to leadership positions.
- The technology will be used more effectively to control costs and improve the efficiency of the management.
The report predicts that the total sales of the restaurant industry in the United States will reach up to 850.000 million dollars in 2020, compared to 587.000 million in 2010 and 379.000 billion in 2000.
It seems logical to think that depending on the country where this survey was conducted, the importance of the restaurant industry in that country and the economic cycle in which it is located, some of the predictions could be quite different, but it is also true that it is always a value to keep in mind to know what may be the future trends of the world's largest power in the restaurant industry.
What do you think of these 25 predictions? Would you add any that you think could also be relevant?