Fruits and vegetables allies of nutrition in times of crisis
What does Wikipedia say about freezing food?
La freezing of food preserves it from the moment it is prepared until the moment it is consumed. From the earliest times, farmers, fishermen and trappers have kept the grains they produce in unheated buildings during the winter season.1Freezing food slows decomposition by turning residual moisture into ice, inhibiting the growth of most bacterial species.
In the food products industry, There are two processes,: mechanical and cryogenic (or instant freeze). Freezing kinetics is important to preserve the quality and food texture. Faster freezing generates smaller ice crystals and maintains cell structure. The cryogenic freeze It is the fastest freezing technology available due to the ultra low temperature of liquid nitrogen -196 degrees Celsius (-320 ° F).2
Food preservation in domestic kitchens during modern times is accomplished through the use of freezers domestic. The accepted advice for families was to freeze food on the day of purchase.
An initiative by a supermarket group in 2012 (supported by the UK's Waste and Resources Action Program) promotes freezing of food "as soon as possible until the date of use of the product". It was reported that the Food Standards Agency supported the change, provided the food had been properly stored up to that point.3
Tips for freezing and thawing fruits and vegetables during quarantine
- Choose frozen vegetables with no additives or added salt, or fruits that do not contain added sugar.
- The fruits and frozen vegetables should be solid and hard, not mushy, damp or wet, sweating or thawing. "You should be able to feel individual frozen pieces of fruit or vegetables, not a solid block, indicating thawed and re-frozen contents." Yellowing or ice crystals in the package is another indication of thawing and refreezing.
- Keep the freezer door closed. Every time you open the freezer, you are defrosting the products, since you expose them to room temperature. This can result in a loss of healthy phytoactive compounds.
- Store fruits and vegetables in the back of the freezer so they don't partially defrost when you open the door.
- Do not overheat frozen products. Thawing the fruit on the counter or in the microwave for a minimum amount of time is the best way to retain the phytoactive compounds in the fruit. Light steam or microwaving is the best way of preserving the nutrients in the vegetables.
- Squeeze a lemon over frozen vegetables after heating. The vitamin C in lemon juice can help replenish any vitamin C lost during whitening. It will also make the vegetables brighter and fresher.