the waiters of the titanicThis is how the history of the waiters of the titanic begins

From the beginning, the maiden voyage of the Titanic is marked by tragedy. It is said that, when the immense 46,329-ton boat moved from its berth in Southampton, it was left next to the ocean liner New York, it was anchored. Suddenly, voices of alarm were heard as the thick mooring ropes of both boats became entangled as a cord, and then they began to be dragged along by some unknown force.

El Titanic was stopped just in time after the strange “suction stopped, and immediately the tugs slowly made their way to the New York to take you back to the mooring. An identical situation arose only a few minutes later, when the Teutonic also tangled in the ropes of the Titanic and he followed closely several degrees until the Titanic managed to slide.

Subsequently, the ocean liner was towed out to sea and tranquility returned the crew to their captain, Edward-Smith. The deck trembled almost imperceptibly at the thrust of its towering turbines: it was the largest, best, and safest ship ever built. To guarantee that fullfilment of security requirements, 15 transverse partitions subdivided it from bow to stern and a double bottom meant a further guarantee against accidents. It was, in the minds of all those on land and on board, the ultimate: the unsinkable ship.

After a brief visit to Cherbourg, the Titanic He left Queenstown (now Cobh), Ireland, on the night of Thursday, April 11, 1912, and entered the Atlantic, in waters that veteran Captain Smith knew very well. He steadily sailed west without incident; the sea was calm and the weather clear, although very cold, to the point that the temperature dropped dramatically during the morning of Sunday, April 14, and several messages received by the radio operator of the Titanic warned about the danger of finding icebergs.

The ship continued its march at full speed, its lights twinkling on the dark and calm water: its engines propelled it at a constant speed of knots. Suddenly, just before midnight, a lookout yelled, "Iceberg ahead!"

titanic01 titanic02

They gave orders desperate to turn the ship into port, but it was too late. As it began to turn, a huge iceberg scraped its starboard length and then slid to the stern and was lost into the night. Captain Smith was on the bridge before his first mate Murdoch could communicate the order to "Stop engines!" He ordered all watertight compartments to be hermetically sealed and then asked Fourth Officer Boxhall to probe. The young officer was about to leave when the ship's carpenter came to the bridge to report: "It's leaking fast!"

It may interest you: Cook Uniform History (Philippines and Hats)

The passengers who were still awake did not realize what was happening, because the impact had been soft. Lawrence Beesley, one of the survivors, stated that “there was no crash or other noise; no shock was felt, no jolt of a heavy body colliding with another ... "

On the deck, and despite the intense cold, some enthusiastic passengers had a "battle" with snowballs, using the ice that the deadly iceberg had deposited during the brief encounter with the ship, while another passenger, who did not want to leave the comfort of the living room, he held out a glass and asked a friend to "see if any ice had arrived on board."

Some passengers asked the waiters why the machines had stopped, and they assured them that there was no cause for alarm. The waiters acted in good faith, because until now they really believed that everything was under control. Down there, however, the story was different. The men in the first boiler room were swimming in strong torrents of water that rushed through a huge crack in the side of the ship. They managed to get to the next boiler room, and then the next, until they entered number 4, which was almost halfway through the ship and where the water had not yet reached.

titanic04 titanic05

Realizing that the damage was serious, Captain Smith went to the radio room, where the two radio operators, Jack Phillips and Harold Bride, were ready to receive or transmit signals, and told them that the ship had collided with a iceberg and wanted them to be ready to send a distress call.

When he returned to the bridge it was obvious that the Titanic se slowly sinking. The iceberg had cut a cut in the starboard bow the length of a third of the length of the ship, and the icy water of the Atlantic entered uncontrollably and copiously.

At 00:25 a.m., a few minutes after the collision, Captain Smith ordered the boats to be discovered. Ten minutes later he returned to the radio room to order the operators to start transmitting, adding disturbed: "It could be the last chance." Immediately, the urgent call crackled into the night broadcasting what had happened, giving the ship's MGY call sign and its position, and calling for urgent help.

La signal was captured by two ocean liners, the Frankfort and Carpathia, and the captain of the latter asked his operator twice if he had read the message correctly, as he did not believe that the "unsinkable" Titanic could be in trouble. When the call for help was confirmed, he ordered his operator to respond that he would come to the rescue at full speed, and asked his engineers to give him "all the information they had."

It may interest you: The centenary of the woman who taught the United States to cook

Meanwhile, the waiters of the Titanic They went from cabin to cabin, knocking on doors and asking occupants to put on appropriate clothing for the cold and head to the boat stations in their life jackets. Still unaware of the gravity of the situation, most of the passengers did as asked, although some refused to leave the heat of their staterooms for what they considered to be simply an unexpected and thoughtless evacuation training exercise.

The boats were hung and the order was given: "Women and children only!" At first there was a reluctance to abandon ship because it seemed so safe, so comfortable compared to the fragile boats. Beesley would later declare: “The sea was calm as an inland lake, except for the gentle waves that could not cause any movement to a ship the size of the Titanic. Staying on deck, many meters above the water that was beating indolently against the side, gave a wonderful feeling of security ... "

They all behaved calmly, almost indifferently. Until that moment, the panic that reigned in other ships had not appeared in similar circumstances in the face of the danger of drowning; only an unpleasant scene appeared among the third-class passengers, which was quickly controlled by the officers.

titanic06 titanic07

Finally, the boats began to be loaded with passengers and lowered slowly, although they did not actually drop them at sea, because Captain Smith received the responses to his distress signal, especially from the Carpathia who reported being only 60 miles away and assured that he would arrive in four hours.

However, the captain soon realized that his ship was sinking more with each passing minute, and he knew that as the bow sank and the starboard rose it would be more difficult to lower the boats, some of which were only half full. of her ability, as many women refused to leave their husbands. Isador Strauss's wife was one of them and she firmly expressed: "Wherever you go, I go." Thus, they stayed together ... and died together.

As the boats splashed down, the notes from Nearer My God to Thee they floated in the night, emitted by a group of ship musicians who had gathered on deck with their instruments. Some passengers joined in the chant, others stared over the side of the ship to take one last, long look at the faces of their loved ones before they became indistinguishable in the dark.

Almost all of the lifeboat crews were made up of waiters and firemen, as the officers and almost all the sailors remained on board to help those who remained.

It may interest you: Wine history (2020)

Two hours after the ocean liner crashed, Captain Smith ordered: “Abandon ship! Each man for himself! " He remained on the bridge and was not seen again. Despite the order, Phillips and Bride were still transmitting, urging the ships coming to their rescue to hurry, until the power failed and they took to the deck.

Those in the boats looked back at the imposing sinking ship. The ship, nearly 300 meters long with four huge chimneys and still glowing in the glowing light from skylights and saloons, was now low by the bows and sinking slowly but noticeably. The angle became more open as the starboard rose, then leaned into a nearly vertical position and remained for a few moments, almost motionless.

As it swayed, all its lights suddenly went out and there was a deep crash as tons of machinery fell and smashed toward the bow. Immediately the huge ocean liner slid back and forth, the waters closing in on him like a shroud.

Shortly after 04:00, the Carpathia that He made a dangerous race in the waters at a previously unknown speed (for him) of 17 knots, arrived at the scene of the tragedy at 08:00 hours, had rescued the occupants of all boats. With him was the California, an ocean liner that had stopped overnight less than 10 miles from Titanic and whose captain would be severely criticized for not observing the rescue rockets of the crashed ship.

The entire world was shocked when the final balance of the disaster was provided. Of the 2,206 people on board, 1,403 died or disappeared; most were male crew members and passengers of the greatest maritime disaster of all time.

The research resulted in the creation of the International Ice Patrol (International Ice Patrol) as well as stricter regulations regarding the provision of sufficient lifeboats to accommodate all persons on board ships.

I am a dreamer and in my dreams I believe that a better world is possible, that no one knows more than anyone, we all learn from everyone. I love gastronomy, numbers, teaching and sharing all the little I know, because by sharing I also learn. "Let's all go together from foundation to success"
Last entries of MBA Yosvanys R Guerra Valverde (see everything)