The 2017 award ceremony took place in Melbourne Australia on April 5, after it was held in New York the year before.
Eleven Madison Park is the first American winner since the French Laundry California took the jackpot in 2004.
El restaurant Run by Swiss-born chef Daniel Humm, along with co-owner Will Guidara, offers European food with a New York twist in an art deco building just off Madison Park in Manhattan.
The seasonal tasting menu of the restaurant, served in a way that blurs the line between the kitchen and the dining room celebrates the rich history of the city and its cultural traditions.
Let's call it a culinary bromance, but as Will Guidara exclusively explained to CNN immediately after the award ceremony: “For us, any time you are successful you need to have the ability to take stock of what brought you there in first place. For us it is this relationship, this trust, this dynamic ”.
"I work with my best friend and that means that when we are successful, we succeed together and when we fall, we fall together," added Guidara.
The Swiss chef added: “We wanted to create one of the best dining rooms in the world, but that was only possible because we have each other. There was nothing in the world that we couldn't do. "
The setting for the World's 50 Best could not have been grander: Melbourne's Royal Exhibition Building, a vaulted pavilion from 1880, where a red carpet filled with familiar faces of what the Oscars of the food world have coined.
Each of the 50 chefs - well, only 47 of them were present - wore a red sash while star names like Heston Blumenthal wandered around the floor and were followed by selfie hunters.
Blumenthal, the father of multisensory cuisine - not to mention the molecular gastronomy awards - received a standing ovation for taking the Lifetime Achievement Award.
France-born chef Dominique Ansel, who created the cronut at his eponymous New York bakery, won the Best Pastry Chef in the World award.
The Sustainable Restaurant award went to Septime in Paris, while the newest entry was also to a restaurant in that city, Le Pavillon Ledoyen by Yannick Allen.
The Chef's award - chosen by other chefs - went to Virgilio Martínez from the Central restaurant in Lima.
The Enjoy Bercelona was named the 'One to Watch' of 2017, and the Den of Tokyo made its debut at position 45 in the list of the 50 best in the world.
The Celler de Can Roca in Spain —the best restaurant in the world in 2013 and 2015— won the Art of Hospitality award.
And while restaurants Led by women were underrepresented at the awards, Slovak Ana Ros - who runs the Hiša Franko restaurant in the Soca Valley - was named the World's Best Female Chef.
These are the best restaurants in the world:
1. Eleven Madison Park (New York)
2. Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy) * Best restaurant in Europe *
3. El Celler de Çan Roca (Girona, Spain)
4. Mirazur (Menton, France) 5. Central (Lima) * Best restaurant in South America *
6. Asador Etxebarri (Vizcaya, Spain)
7. Gaggan (Bangkok) * Best Restaurant in Asia * 8. Maido (Lima, Peru)
9. Mugaritz (San Sebastián, Spain)
10. Steirereck (Vienna)
11. Blue Hill at Stone Barns (Pocantico Hills, New York) * highest climb *
12. Arpege (Paris)
13. Alain Ducasse Au Plaza Athenee (Paris) * highest re-entry *
14. Andre Restaurant (Singapore)
15. Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy) 16. DOM (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
17. Le Bernardin (New York)
18. Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
19. Geranium (Copenhagen) 20. Pujol (Mexico City)
21. Alinea (Chicago) 22. Quintonil (Mexico City)
23. White Rabbit (Moscow)
24. Amber (Hong Kong)
25. Tickets (Barcelona)
26. Clove Club (London)
27. The Ledbury (London)
28. Nahm (Bangkok)
29. Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
30. Arzak (San Sebastian, Spain)
31. Alleno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen (Paris) * The new highest entrance *
32. Attica (Melbourne) * Best restaurant in Australasia * 33. Astrid (Lima, Peru)
34. De Librije (Zwolle, The Netherlands)
35. Septime (Paris) * Sustainable Restaurant Award *
36. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (London)
37. Saison (San Francisco)
38. Azurmendi (Larrabezúa, Spain)
39. Relae (Copenhagen)
40. Cosme (New York) * New *
41. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet (Shanghai) 42. Borago (Santiago, Chile)
43. Reale (Castel di Sangro, Italy) * New *
44. Brae (Birregurra, Australia) * New *
45. Den (Tokyo) * New *
46. L'Astrance (Paris)
47. Vendome (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
48. Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin) 49. Tegui (Buenos Aires) * New *
50. Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
I am a dreamer and in my dreams I believe that a better world is possible, that no one knows more than anyone, we all learn from everyone. I love gastronomy, numbers, teaching and sharing all the little I know, because by sharing I also learn. "Let's all go together from foundation to success"