Image analysis and gastronomic positioning of the destination
One of the relevant points to be able to advance in the development of a gastronomic tourism strategy is to analyze the image of the destination and know how they think, what is the attitude and behavior of potential customers when they travel and what role gastronomy plays in their travels.
The methodology of Insights of the image of a gastronomic tourism destination contains three types of jobs:
- Research and Insights of the source markets. First, we must identify the main national and international source markets of gastronomic tourists. To do this, a set of criteria can be established to facilitate this selection, for example:
- number of tourists by issuing market,
- number of potential tourists by source market,
- per capita spending on tourism,
- per capita expenditure on gastronomic tourism,
- degree of knowledge / familiarity with the destination,
- travel culture, and
- gastronomic culture.
Once the priority markets have been selected and the specific weight that these markets may have for the destination due to their level of tourism spending, proximity and familiarity, it is necessary to advance with a Insights more qualitative in relation to their gastronomic habits and trends, as well as their expectations and motivations when planning a trip and what they long for in their country when they are in a new destination.
This will allow us to identify patterns and insights that make us detect attractive levers to support ourselves to enhance the attraction of tourists from these markets, based on the following sources of information:
- publications in the media of source markets,
- opinions of opinion leaders on tourism and gastronomy,
- gastronomy and tourism blogs,
- image of the destination in search engines of source markets,
- rankings of international publications,
- portals such as Tripadvisor, la fourchette, the fork, etc.,
- reports from market research institutes, and
- conducting interviews with those responsible for taking strategic in outbound tourism in these markets and through focus groups with participants in outbound markets.
With all the work carried out, a diagnosis of the image of the destination will be elaborated that will identify the most relevant levers that should be incorporated into the gastronomic tourism strategy.
- Analysis of the customer journey of the gastronomic tourist: the image of the destination associated with gastronomy in the different phases of the gastronomic tourist experience through analysis in digital environments - big data - and qualitative studies of influencers in potential markets, marketing, experience and reputation.
- Analysis of the marketing of the gastronomic tourism destination. To evaluate the supports and actions of gastronomic tourism marketing, the means and contents of the promotional actions carried out by the entity of management and by other relevant public and private institutions that affect the destination. Specifically, the following should be evaluated:
- the gastronomic tourism promotional media of the destination, in particular the web, the presence on social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), video networks (eg Youtube) and photo networks (Instagram, Pinterest, Flick, and others), editorial and audiovisual products, and tourist brochures,
- promotional actions for the destination's gastronomic tourism: participation in events, fairs, familiarization trips (fam trips), tourist products, etc., and
- the presence of the destination in the catalogs of the main gastronomic tourism operators.
Issues to consider:
- Tourist intelligence. The destination must have a good tourism intelligence system that allows identifying the priority markets for gastronomic tourism, both from its own sources and from market research institutes,
- Orientation to demand. Generate knowledge about the trends of gastronomic tourism clients from the main source markets. The gastronomic tourism strategy is aimed at an individualized and demanding public. Therefore, the knowledge of the needs, preferences and behavior habits of current and potential consumers will be important when preparing the gastronomic offer of the destination and the promotion and communication channels,
- The cycle of travel experience. Analyze the image of the destination in the different phases of the travel experience: planning, hiring, experience and sharing. The challenge of the destination is to know it in order to be present in each of these stages of the gastronomic tourist experience, and
- Marketing evaluation. Evaluate the presence of gastronomy in the different supports and promotion and marketing channels of the tourist destination.